How To Get Military Discounts
First, we need to make sure you, the reader of this list, is eligible to get a military discount. So, the following people will be able to get a chance to obtain one:
- Active duty military personnel
- Current Guard / Reserve member
- Military retirees
- Military dependents (anyone with a DoD issued military or dependent ID)
Now, once you know you are eligible, you need to bring your military identification (proof of service or dependency) with you.
Some of the current ID cards that you can use to show proof of service:
- Military ID Card
- Military dependent ID Card
- VA Issued Identification Card
- Veterans Designation on Drivers License
- Other ID or Membership Card – examples include veterans groups such as the VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, etc.
However, please note that there is no standard as some stores only accept certain forms of ID or proof of service.
Military Discount Categories
In order to group this list of military discounts, I’ve decided to go with categories. Please note that this list will most likely never be finished, I will always make sure to keep on adding websites.
However, please don’t be mad if any of these discounts are no longer valid. On the contrary, please use the opportunity to send me a quick email so I can remove it and avoid future confusions.
Cars and Dealerships
- Amtrak – Military Personnel Save 10% and Get Ahead of the Ticket Line
- Military Discounts Add Up with Penske Truck Rental
- Baby Tula offers military families a 10% discount on babytula.com on products that help with bonding after long deployments or comfort and convenience during moves and daily life.
- 10% off natural baby and parenting items at Heart Hugs including baby carriers, cloth diapers, feeding products, toys and more!
Clothing and Shoes
- 10% discount at Buckle.com off their entire merchandise purchase – regular and sale
- 20% off to all members of the military community with American Giants
- $30 off orders $150+ at Dooney & Bourke
- Active Military and Veterans can enjoy 15% off purchase at Nana Macs
15% off your entire purchase at DeSarti.com — where you’ll find a curated collection of casual and contemporary fashion for plus sizes 12-24.
- Active duty military personnel, veterans, retired military, military spouses and dependents get 10% off entire purchase at Okabashi. Shoes proudly made in the USA.
- 15% off Any Purchase – Shop official Nitro Circus apparel and gear at shop.nitrocircus.com
- Browning Lifestyle is offering military personnel and their immediate family a 25% discount of MSRP every day.
- US Wings ® Inc. offers free shipping worldwide as long as the shipment is sent to a U.S. Military address APO and or FPO outside the USA, or if a Person is on active duty in the USA they will receive free standard shipping.
- Altar’D State offers a 15% discount on regular-price items to service members and their families.
- Active Military and Veterans can enjoy 15% off purchase at NanaMacs.
- DownUnder Apparel has a 10% military discount for active duty, reserves, guard, etc and veterans.
- Fuel Clothing offers active and veteran service men and woman a military discount on their website.
- Vanika Jewelry offers a 10% discount to our active or retired military customers.
Sword & Plough is proud to offer a lifetime 20% discount on all orders to all U.S. active duty military personnel, National Guard members, Reservists, veterans, retired military personnel, military spouses and Gold Star family members. Learn how to receive your Sword & Plough military discount here.
- JM4 Tactical offers a military discount for 10% off your purchase.
- G. Lieberman & Sons, suppliers of men’s tights, pantyhose, socks, and stockings, have a military discount code and it’s is 42ML87 and it is worth 5% discount, no minimum purchase, good on all products.
- Thirteenth Floor is an art & clothing store, that exclusively sells the SWvsWWII series. The 10% Off military discount is a window that pops up when you have an active cart.
- Turtle Fur offers 25% off your entire order to active and retired Military members, scroll to the bottom of the page to apply for their Military Discount.
- Criquet Shirts offers 25% off for military personnel (no dedicated military discount page, anyone wanting to receive this discount should call into our office to receive)
- 5% discount at Weaver Leathercraft to retail customers who have served or are currently serving in the United States military or are active duty, first responders.
- TeaCups, Puppies & Boutique offers 10% off puppies & merchandise for both active duty and veteran members.
Spas and Beauty
- SPA INDEX GUIDE TO SPAS is global directory of day spas, wellness providers, spa hotels, and spa resorts offering discounts to Armed Forces, First Responders, EMTs and Law Enforcement professionals.
- Lord Jones offers a 20% discount to U.S. active duty military personnel, reservists and veterans on all products at lordjones.com
Education and Tutoring
- Reduced tuition rates at Kindercare
- Online tutoring and homework help at no cost to active duty service members with Tutor.com
Moving and Storage
- Any service or item offered is available for military members active or retired at 20% off at Pawning Planners. Also, for military members who cannot afford event services, we work for free in certain situations.
Experience The Ride offers a $45 military discount for tickets to THE RIDE ($24 savings!) – redeem it by sending a photo of the military ID to this email or visit ExperienceTheRide.com
for more information.
- Rose City Comic Con offers all active military, reservist, and guards personnel will receive a3-dayy pass with proof of active military ID, available for pickup at the show’s registration.
- Valleyfair will host a special event in honor of our nation’s military heroes: on public operating days from May 25 – 28 and June 30 – July 4 2018, any member of the armed services, active or veteran, will receive free regular admission to the park. Plus, each military guest will be able to bring up to six family members at a discounted rate of just $35 per person.
- The Roller Kingdom offers a $2 off paid admission for children brought in by an active military person or spouse. (ie their children and friends) – that’s a 20% discount off our full admission price of $10. There is also a 10% discount on full-price birthday party packages.
- Busch Gardens grants Active Military Members one complimentary admission per year for military personnel
- Free Admission for Active Duty Military and Families at SeaWorld
- One complimentary admission per year to Sesame Place
- Active-duty U.S. military personnel receive free general admission at Shedd Aquarium
- Walt Disney World Resort is saluting U.S. military personnel by offering promotional theme park tickets.
- Motel 6 is proud to offer all active and retired military personnel and their families a 10% discount
- U.S. Service Members receive FREE admission to LEGOLAND® Florida Resort & Water Park
- Medieval Times offers armed forces and their families discounted tickets and a free royalty upgrade.
- Jet Blue offers special discounts and fares, airport assistance and other unique services for military veterans and active military members
- Cloud 9 Relaxation home offers 10% off their rental fees for military families.
- 10% off best available rate plus special extras including complimentary wine tasting, welcome gift, cheese & fruit plate, late checkout, free shuttle service, hot springs pool access at sister hotel with Brannan Cottage Inn.
- Woodloch’s Heroes Club offers exclusive savings and benefits to military personnel.
- Park City Lodging and their property owners are pleased to support our military service men and women and their families with a 20% military discount off lodging during the regular season.
- Hobbs Realty has 76 rental properties on Holden Beach that allow for a 10% active military discount year-around.
- Stevens Pass Mountain Resort offers military discounts both winter and summer on lift tickets, rental equipment, lessons and more.
- Mt. Holiday offers Active Duty Military and Veterans 10% off with Military I.D. or Veteran status I.D. for any regularly priced daily lift ticket, equipment rental, private lesson, tube run reservation, and zipline reservation.
- Virgin Islands Campground offers all Active Duty Military and Veterans a 10% Virgin Islands Military Discount on each unit rented.
- Sandy Cove Ministries offer a 10% military discount for all program events for ALL military personnel. However, they also have free military stays as a part of their Operation Oasis program!
- Peak Military Card is valid at all Northeast Peak Resorts with the following offer: 25% off weekends/holidays & 40% off midweek, non-holiday lift tickets
At Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows all active duty military pass is sold for $99 (full, unrestricted pass). It comes with a great bonus – the first $200,000 of proceeds go to the Military to the Mountains program and the balance will go to Special Ops Survivors!
- Loon Condo Connection offers active Military 10% off the rent of a vacation home for stays of two nights or more during the time periods of April 1 – June 15 and October 15 – December 15.
- SPA INDEX GUIDE TO SPAS is a global directory of seasonal spa getaways, health and wellness retreat packages, spa deals and military discounts and promotions. Updates frequently.
- With Steam Boat active military and their dependents always receive 20% off our day-of lift ticket prices.
- Fox Hill RV Park & Campground offers all active military personnel a 10% discount on campsites and cabins in Wisconsin Dells, WI. The discount is good anytime except holiday weekends.
- Branson Treehouse Adventures offers a 15% savings to military personnel, veterans and their families – it applies to RV sites, cabins and tree houses.
- Bear Creek Lodge offers a military discount to all active and retired military personnel and their families are eligible for a 10% discount. Simply present a valid US military ID upon check-in.
- Brown County Log Cabins offer a 10% military discount off their total stay at MOST units. These are individually owned and some allow NO discounts of any kind. Visit their homepage for more information!
- Lake Camanche offers all active, reserve, retired, and veteran military personnel receives a 20% discount on Day Use Entry, Boat Rentals (excluding rental of the 14 passengers & Party Barges) camping, RV sites, and cottages.
Family and Military Reunions
- If you are planning any military reunions in Chicago check out the military reunion discount at Lisle Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Medical and Supplements
- BSN offers heavily discounted prices, Free Shipping on orders over $40 and Free Samples
- RedCon1 offers a 25% Discount on everything available on www.RedCon1.com
- Tread Labs offers 15% off on pain relieving orthotic insoles.
- Free Club O Gold Membership at Overstock
- Pottery Barn offers all active and retired military personnel and their families a 15% discount
- Yankee Candle® offers 10% Military Discount for active and retired military is available every day on every purchase.
Food and Restaurants
- Certain Papa Murphy’s Locations offer discounts
- 20% Military Discount – Dine in or Take out with Chompie’s
- 10% discount on entire meals with Brigs’
- 15% off all day, every day with The Green Turtle
- Veterans save 35% every day with Coleman
- S3 Power Sports proudly offers Active Military Personnel & Veterans a discount of up to 10% on eligible purchases every day.
- ReadyMan offers special discounts for anyone that is Military, Law Enforcement or is a First Responder.
- Emerson Knives offers 20% OFF an online purchase of a knife for all active duty military and law enforcement.
- Present and past members of the Armed Forces are welcome to be a part of our family and receive up to 40% discounted prices on AXO products.
- Up to 50-percent discount on certain wedding packages through MOAA
- Castle Farms offer military wedding giveaways
- 10% off of DJUj DJ package on all Wedding Ceremonies/Receptions
- Allurez offers a 5% military discount on engagement rings, wedding bands, pendants, earrings, and all other fine jewelry
- BloomsByTheBox.com offers a 5% off discount on orders over $100 for its military customers. Contact Blooms to receive the current military discount code when you order!
- Vittorio Menswear & Tuxedo offers 10% off any purchase or rental (if you bring a coupon or promotion that exceeds 10%, they’ll honor the better of the two!)
- 5% military discount with Serendipity Diamonds for online purchases of wedding bands, engagement rings and other jewelry.
- Moffitt Oaks understands that Military Families plans change on the whim, so they have a flexible date scheduling and a 10% Military Discount for active and veteran Bride and Grooms.
- 20% off wedding planning from Events by Truly Yours – a nationwide wedding planner
- Save the Date Music offers 10% off the total price of their music services for weddings and/or receptions
- Eric Vest Photography give 10% discounts on all the wedding packages for military couples.
- Happy Maui Wedding on the island of Maui, in Hawaii, offers, “Intimate Ceremony Value Pure And Simple”, for eloping couples and couples with very small guest counts, featuring a 10% discount on all our Happy Maui Wedding Packages for those in Active Duty, with all 5 branches of the U.S. military
- $50.00 off the total package price with Double Platinum Celebrations DJs
- MiaDonna offers U.S. active duty military personnel, National Guard members, Reservists, veterans, retired personnel and spouses, and U.S. First Responders a 10% discount on all orders of conflict-free engagement rings, wedding bands or other jewelry.
Wonder Jewelers is an online custom jewelry store based out of downtown Los Angeles and they provide 20% off custom ring settings, 1% off diamonds and 15% off jewelry for active military, veterans and first responders with proof of military ID.
Get your wedding started right with Hotlimos in a party bus San Diego military discount of 5% on the weekend and 10% during the week.
- Dream Manor Inn offers a $100-$200 discount (depending on Wedding package chosen) for our beloved military.
- Genesis Diamonds would like to express our gratitude to the heroes in our military by offering a 10% discount on designer brands, 365 days a year
- Heath Barr Photography provides 10% off of all wedding packages for wedding photography (ranges between $120-$260 off), and for 2018 – all Military Weddings receive a complimentary Wedding album as well!
- LaDuke Wedding Photography offers 10% off of any photography package (weddings, families, engagements, etc.).
- Solomon Brothers Fine Jewelry is proud to extend a 10% military discount on the largest selection of engagement rings and wedding bands.
- Larson Jewelers offers 5% off of your order.
- David’s Bridal’s is proud to offer a 10% discount to active military members and their significant others May 1 – 31, 2018 for Military Appreciation Month.
BONUS Military Discounts: Regardless of Category
Many companies mentioned above offer military discounts year-round, but asking for a military discount on a military-related holiday increases your chances.
These holidays are:
- Memorial Day,
- Fourth of July,
- Veterans Day
- Military Appreciation Days in Myrtle Beach (as well as some permanent military discounts in that area)
- other national holidays.
In fact, many stores don’t offer military discounts, except on these holidays.
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER TO BE THE FIRST TO RECEIVE OUR BEST DISCOUNTS AND EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENTS!
This month we recognize Laura Suarez's dedication and outstanding work as an S&P Brand Champion!
**This interview has been edited for clarity and brevity.**
Tell us a little bit about yourself! Where are you from, what is your background?
I was born in beautiful Southern California. I am currently pursuing a bachelors in International Business. My fiancé and I recently purchased our first home in La Mirada, CA and are loving our lovely neighborhood! I have a passion for travel and love encouraging others to travel the world. My fiancé and I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit Europe in the past few years, as well as visit Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics. We also traveled to Paris and London last year, and my fiancé proposed to me in my favorite city in the whole world. I was the first in my family to travel abroad and London was the first city I ever visited, now it holds an even more special place in my heart.
What is one thing on your bucket list you can’t wait to cross off and why?
It has been a dream of mine to visit Egypt! I was always fascinated with the culture and history while growing up. I always wanted to learn as much as I could.
What would be your theme song?
I Lived - by One Republic. The song holds such beautiful memories of all of my travels and the wonderful friends I've made throughout the years. It also reminds me to try and live my best life everyday, as well as encourage others to do the same.
Who would you love to interview and why?
If she were alive, I'd interview Selena Quintanilla. She was such a huge influence in the music industry during her time with us and even after. I think it would be interesting to ask what type of music she'd be writing now, and about what and with whom she’d be interested in collaborating with.
Do you work another job other than being a Brand Champion? Tell us about that position.
At the moment I'm attending school and working as a Brand Champion.
How do you navigate being a Brand Champion with the other responsibilities you have in your daily life?
With moving, wedding planning and school, I try to incorporate talking about Sword & Plough via various social media platforms and conversations whenever possible. I love using my Blue Signature Tote on a daily basis and love starting conversations about the tote. While traveling I enjoy taking my Green Weekender bag and love taking pictures of them anywhere I go!
What inspired you to become a Brand Champion?
Ever since the first day I heard about it from COO Betsy Núñez, whom I'd met at a previous travel company we worked at together, I fell in love with the idea. Each of these products has a beautiful story and wonderful meaning. It’s a great feeling to know you are making a difference in the world by supporting a company that supports veteran employment, reduces waste, and not to mention, gives back 10% of profits to military initiatives.
Who are the veterans in your life? Why do they inspire you?
My cousin Alex Gutierrez recently became a Marine last year and our family is incredibly proud. He is such an inspiration for becoming the first ever member of our family to join the military.
What were your impressions of the military community before becoming a Brand Champion? How has that changed or evolved for you?
I wasn't really involved in the military community before I was a Brand Champion. Sword & Plough has strengthened my civil-military understanding, and I now know what the power of a purchase can do, and the importance of supporting small local businesses. I've also become more interested in talking to veterans about their stories while on duty, their life after serving in the military, and the challenges they face.
What motivates you?
I'm constantly motivated by my wonderful fiancé, friends, and family, who are always so uplifting and inspire me to be a better version of myself. My fiancé is definitely my biggest motivator and inspiration. He not only wishes to be better himself but loves those around him to be better versions of themselves as well. There is nothing more selfless and beautiful in life than succeeding and wanting those around you to succeed as well. It's important to surround ourselves with positive people who reciprocate love and support. I'm blessed to be surrounded by kind and loving souls.
What have you learned from being a Brand Champion?
I've learned so much since becoming one of the first Brand Champions for the company. The most important lesson is the power of your purchase. We all buy things on a daily basis without sometimes even knowing the impact we have on the world with what we buy. I love being a part of a company that supports our veterans and is making a difference to reduce waste. Every time I buy a product from S&P, I know it's going towards making a difference in more than one way. The bags are also so stylish and durable; each bag is beautiful and unique in its own way.
What is your favorite Brand Champion giving partner and why?
My favorite giving partner is Purple Hearts Reunited, which has also been our newest with the launch of our Burgundy Wool Crossbody bag on Valentine's Day. Purple Hearts Reunited is a non-profit organization that returns lost or stolen military medals to veterans and military families at no cost. Through their work, Purple Hearts Reunited returns what is often the last tangible piece of a veteran to his or her family. With your purchase, you help fund the Purple Hearts Reunited service medal return ceremonies, which are an opportunity to share veterans' stories and honor their legacies.
What is your favorite Sword & Plough product?
This is a tough one...I have a couple of favorites. My favorite travel bag is The Weekender, I use it on every single trip whether domestic or international.
While exploring new cities, I use my Brown Wool Crossbody bag because it's light and stylish.
At home I use my Blue Signature Tote on a daily basis. It has so many pockets and holds so much. I'm usually that friend that carries band aids, tissues, cough drops or anything others might need in an emergency!
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER TO BE THE FIRST TO RECEIVE OUR BEST DISCOUNTS AND EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENTS!
As much as the Sword & Plough team is excited to jump into 2018, we took a few days at the end of December to celebrate and give thanks for all the amazing memories of 2017. We were inspired by our community on a daily basis and were overwhelmed by the growth we experienced.
We hit some incredible milestones this past year!
- + $90,000 - Total value of financial and product donations given to high impact veteran organizations.
- + 30,000 - Number of pounds of military surplus repurposed. (And counting!)
- + 65 - Veteran jobs supported!
- + 50,000,000 - Number of people who have heard Sword & Plough mission!
In addition to these impact metrics, we also are thrilled to celebrate the following achievements!
- FedEx Small Business Grant Winner
- Giving Partners collaboration
- New product launches
- 100+ Brand Champions in the first year
Despite a busy year, the busiest time for our team was the last few weeks of December. The Sword & Plough team worked incredibly hard to ensure our community had all the gifts they needed during the holiday season. We were thrilled to be recognized in several holiday gift giving guides and media features such as Fox News, Authenticity 50, American Manufacturing, Great Lakes Boating, Maker’s Row, and CauseArtist. Each of these features illuminates how Sword & Plough offers a unique and impactful product that is unrivaled by other brands.
Be sure to catch our FOX News: Mornings with Maria feature below!
Sword & Plough Brand Champions were also active in communities around the country throughout the entire year and especially in November and December! We hope you were able to visit them as they hosted pop up shops in Pennsylvania, Vermont, Ohio, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Wyoming. We’re excited to celebrate Megan Zelinski who was recognized as the December Brand Champion of the Month!
As we say farewell to 2017 and welcome 2018, we thank you, our enthusiastic community, for your never ending support. We can’t wait to embark on another year with you!
SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL NEWSLETTER TO BE THE FIRST TO RECEIVE OUR BEST DISCOUNTS AND EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENTS!
This was such an exciting month! In celebration of Veterans Day, Sword & Plough announced an impactful update to our giving model! Since launching in 2013, Sword & Plough has donated 10% of our profits every year to veteran organizations that align with our mission to empower veterans and strengthen civil-military understanding. Now, Sword & Plough customers can see which veteran non-profit organization their purchase will benefit via the description on each product page.
We are thrilled to be able to further support impactful veteran organizations through this initiative including Got Your Six, Team RWB, Team Rubicon, Green Beret Foundation, The Mission Continues, The Pat Tillman Foundation, Green Vets LA, and Pets for Vets. Our donations to these organization help provide scholarships for veterans and their children, match veterans with companion dogs, support disaster relief missions, fund women veteran leadership events, and provide job training for veterans. You can check out Sword & Plough’s product pages and Giving Partners Page to learn more!
In addition to these donations, we have also donated more than $35,000 worth of Sword & Plough products to charitable veteran organizations. These in-kind donations have helped support over 100 additional veteran related initiatives in areas of employment, education, health, housing, and leadership.
These non-profits actively work to bring awareness and resources to the veteran community. In the same vein, we are working to bridge the civil-military divide through our most recent initiative, the Uniform Donation Program. We are now recycling old military uniforms and incorporating the material into the production of our bags to include the Limited Edition Uniform Tote! Each uniform donor will receive 20% off their next Sword & Plough purchase and will have the opportunity to share the legacy of their or a family member's military service by submitting a short bio to be posted on our website. This program is a great way for Sword & Plough to share the stories of uniform donors and to give these uniforms a new life.
As veterans felt it was their duty to serve, we at Sword & Plough feel it is our responsibility to bring awareness to the important narrative of how veterans are leaders, problems solvers, and incredible assets to companies through our products, donations and awareness campaigns.
We were also excited to conduct several pop-up shops across the country in November! We held pop up shops in Nevada, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Texas, Michigan, South Carolina, Alabama, New Jersey, and Colorado. We are always so excited to see you in your home state and encourage you to visit our social media pages for updates on where we will be next. Each of the pop-up shops are hosted by a Sword & Plough Brand Champion who has ties to the local community. To learn more about the Brand Champion program, check out our recent feature on Teresa Straley, our Brand Champion of the Month!
We are so grateful for all the organizations that are helping us spread the word about the Sword & Plough brand. Thank you to Mic, FedEx, Weight Watchers, DailyMom, The Everygirl, Reader’s Digest, We Are the Mighty, Humans on the Homefront, CauseArtist, PCSGrades, and Fox News who featured Sword & Plough’s story, mission, and products this past month! We were especially thrilled to join host, Maria Bartiromo, on Fox News Mornings with Maria and encourage you to check out the video clip!
This month we recognize Teresa Straley's dedication and outstanding work as an S&P Brand Champion.
Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where did you grow up? Where do you live now?
I was born and raised in Chambersburg, PA. I still live in the area and raised all three of my children here.
What three words would describe you and why?
Talented - My friends always tell me I have a very crafty side as well as a great fashion sense. I guess I just know what I like. It’s my way of expressing myself.
Hard working - I was a single mom for most of my children’s lives. I’ve always worked full time, and have had a side job for a good many years. As I watch my children grow into adulthood, I think that is one of the best qualities I have passed on to them.
Dedicated - I give everything I do my all. And if I set my mind to do something, I’m gonna do it.
Do you work another job in addition to Sword & Plough? If so, what job is that? What is it like to manage bot responsibilities?
I work full time as a Marketer for a Senior Living Community. It’s a job that I absolutely love! We have about 160 seniors that live here, from Independent to advanced Dementia. They make my job 100% fulfilling.
I guess I’ve always been good at time management because I’ve had to be. With my children grown, it gives me a little more flexibility to dedicate to Sword & Plough. And I think if you are passionate about something, you can make it work.
What made you decide to be a Sword & Plough Brand Champion? What is it about the products/brand you love?
My oldest graduated from high school last year. I’ve been trying to find a good match for me to give back. I’ve been most interested in something related to the military, as I come from a military family, and especially after my oldest joined the Air Force. When I saw Emily and Betsy on The Today Show in the spring, I think I knew I found my match. I did some research and loved what I saw.
What has been the most rewarding experience of being a Sword & Plough Brand Champion?
I did an event at an Armory a few weeks ago in Carlisle, PA. I guess seeing all the active duty service men and women, and meeting some of their spouses, seeing their interest in what we stand for and what we do, that hit home. My father, brothers, grandfather, son….all of them share an unbreakable bond. That’s what is rewarding for me.
One of the hopes for the Community Brand Champions program is that each member will leverage their own entrepreneurial spirit. What creative ways have you employed to reach customers?
I carry the product with me at all times. I actually attached a wristlet strap to my crossbody and carry it as my wallet.
I am in a lot of Vendor groups on Facebook so that has enabled me to find a lot of local events.
Who is the most interesting veteran you know and why?
Well of course I have to say my son Coltin. His choice to join the Air Force wasn’t something that he had planned through life, so when it happened, I think his father and I were a little shocked. But as in everything he does, he put complete effort into it. He served 6 months in Honor Guard, probably one of the things I am most proud of. He did a year tour at Kunsan AFB in Korea. He’s only been out for about 3 months and has already passed his Florida real estate test and gotten a job as a Realtor. This is such a testament to the transition from military to civilian workforce. He is also now classified as disabled, but he doesn’t let that slow him down. He takes life by the horns and continues to push forward and succeed.
What veteran cause do you care about the most and why?
Disabled Veterans. My son’s disabilities are minimal. We were very fortunate that he never saw combat. When I sit and watch real life war movies on TV, the thought of what those soldiers and their families have had to endure...my heart just aches for them. We as Americans need to offer more support, and be thankful every day for others’ sacrifices for our freedom.
What Sword & Plough product is your favorite and why?
My favorite today, which will be my next purchase, is the Camo Zip Top Tote. My coworker just bought the one out of my kit and I admit, I’m jealous.
Tell us about the service members in your life and your connection to them.
As I mentioned, I come from a military family. Aside from my son, my dad is a Vet and my brothers were both in the military. My grandfather was a POW on a war train, contracted TB and passed away when my mother was a toddler. I can’t imagine how hard life was in the 40’s for my grandmother to be a single mother with two babies to raise.
What, if any, experience did you have that made you feel like the Brand Champion program was a good fit for you? What advice would you give to someone who is just starting as a Brand Champion or thinking about applying?
I think all of my life experiences make S&P a great fit. Not only my connection to most branches of the service through family and friends, but my 25 years of Direct Sales gives me the edge on marketing our brand.
The best advice I can give is let your own experiences show through your passion. I’ve always said, I’m not a sales person. What I sell is what I believe in. Sword & Plough has the potential to continue to do amazing things while supporting our Armed Forces and service members.
One of the things we are most proud of here at Sword & Plough is our commitment to strengthening civil-military understanding. Our team knows that veterans are highly skilled technical professionals, problem solvers, and proven leaders who are empowering assets to civilian communities and companies. Through our social media, email, blog, conversation starting products, and public speaking opportunities, we work to educate others about the incredible value that veterans provide. This month CEO and COO, Emily Núñez Cavness and Betsy Núñez, participated in several events highlighting the civil-military divide and lessons learned in entrepreneurship.
Betsy kicked off the month at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City as a judge at the Bob Evans “Heroes to CEO's” award event. The winners included inspiring veteran-owned brands Fan Food, Mutt’s Sauce, and Vet Veggies. Emily and Betsy helped select the winners of the competition and joined Bob Evans leadership, The Mission Continues team, and Shark Tank’s Daymond John at the NYC event to recognize the winners. All three winners received a $25,000 business grant and a business coaching session with Daymond John.
While Betsy was in New York City with emerging veteran entrepreneurs, Emily was in Boston, Massachusetts at the Forbes 30 Under 30 Summit. The 2017 Forbes Under 30 is the most definitive gathering of today’s leading young changemakers and innovators in the U.S. Now in its sixth year, the 30 Under 30 offers an annual opportunity to embrace the optimism, inventiveness, and boldness of youth. In 2015, Sword & Plough co-founders were recognized on the Forbes 30 Under 30 list. This year, Emily spoke about her experiences as an entrepreneur during and after her military service. She was joined on stage by Kathryn Dill of CNBC, Jayson Browder of Veterans in Global Leadership, and Felix W. Ortiz III of Viridis. Meeting fellow veteran entrepreneurs and changemakers is one of Emily’s favorite things about leading at Sword & Plough!
After the Forbes 30 Under 30 summit, Emily and Betsy journeyed to Texas to participate in the MilBlogging conference. Emily was the keynote speaker and spoke to an audience of over 400 attendees and 35 other speakers. The audience was comprised of veterans, military spouses, entrepreneurs, bloggers, and content creators. Emily shared the story of Sword & Plough and how it has grown from an idea to a viral social enterprise. She also shared many of the lessons she and Betsy have learned as social entrepreneurs, inspiring others to take action on their own great ideas.
After Texas, Emily headed to Wisconsin where she spoke at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater campus. The lecture was a part of the contemporary issues lecture series and was open to the public. Emily spoke about the civil military divide, how Sword & Plough bridges the gap, and how all citizens can work together to strengthen understanding by staying informed on matters of national security, starting meaningful conversations, focusing on how veterans are empowering assets and leaders, and forming relationships through shared experiences like those offered at veteran non-profit organizations such as Got Your 6, Team Red, White & Blue, Team Rubicon and The Mission Continues. Emily also met with a class earlier that day where she answered students’ questions about how she started Sword & Plough and balanced that with active-duty military service. Emily loves opportunities to share her experiences as an entrepreneur and military officer with all audiences and especially students, since she was a college student when she thought of the idea for Sword & Plough.
In addition to the exciting speaking events around the country, Sword & Plough held pop up shops during the month of October in Missouri, Mississippi, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Check and follow our Facebook and Instagram pages daily for updates on where our next pop up shops will be held and for inspiration on great gifts to give this holiday season. We would also love for you to tag us in your next post! Use our hashtags #swordandplough and #repurposedforpurpose on Facebook or Instagram! Our pop up shops are hosted by our Brand Champion teammates. This month we recognized Robbin Alex as our Brand Champion of the month. We are so proud of Robbin!
The veteran charity Sword & Plough focused on this month is Ft. Hood Santa’s Workshop. Sword & Plough has donated over $35,000 worth of in-kind products to veteran causes and that includes a donation to Ft. Hood Santa’s Workshop. Fort Hood Santa’s Workshop is an organization that allows service member parents to select brand new toys, games and books for their children. Last year alone they ensured over 3,400 military children enjoyed a happier holiday. We encourage you to learn more about this organization and other veteran causes.
As always, thank you for all your support. We can’t wait to share more of our story with you next month!
The Sword & Plough team
- The Sword and Plough Guide: Veterans Day
- The Biggest List Of Military Discounts There Is
- Celebrating National Military Spouse Appreciation Day!
- This Earth Day, Sword & Plough Takes Sustainable Business to the Next Level!
- Brand Champion of the Month - Brittany Gendron
- 50 caliber jewelry (2)
- Accessories (1)
- Affiliate Program (1)
- American Made (1)
- Aspen Ideas Festival (1)
- B Corp (1)
- Bar Bracelet (1)
- Brand Champion (13)
- Brand Champion of the Month (13)
- Brand Champion Program (11)
- Brand Manager (1)
- brass jewelry (1)
- brass rings (1)
- Bucketlist (1)
- Certified B Corp (1)
- Colorado (1)
- Denver (1)
- earth day (2)
- eco-friendly fashion (5)
- Eileen Fisher (1)
- ethical clothing companies (5)
- Fall (1)
- Fall Fashion (1)
- Father's Day (2)
- Fedex (3)
- Fedex Small Business Grant (3)
- female entrepreneur (1)
- female veteran (1)
- Field Notes (9)
- girlboss (1)
- girlpower (1)
- Happy Birthday (1)
- Heroes to CEOs (1)
- Jewelry (1)
- Leather Clutch (1)
- Leather Pouch (1)
- Memorial Day (1)
- Military (24)
- Military Spouse (1)
- Military Spouse of the Year (1)
- Monthly Update (1)
- recycled material (1)
- repurposed (4)
- repurposed bags (1)
- repurposed for a purpose (1)
- Sales Rep (1)
- Shootout for Soldiers (1)
- Small Business (1)
- social mission (16)
- stackable rings (1)
- surplus material (2)
- sustainable clothing brands (5)
- The Mission Continues (1)
- theeverygirl (1)
- Tie Tack (1)
- Upcycled Products (3)
- upcycling (2)
- upcycling companies (3)
- urban bags (5)
- Veteran (21)
- Veteran Non Profits (1)
- Veteran Owned (5)
- Veteran Owned Business (12)
- Veteran-Owned Clothing Company (4)
- Wide Open Country (1)
- women in business (4)